- Washington Visitors Center
2028 Old Main Street
Washington, KY 41096
Log Cabin Learning Program $2.00 per student includes admission fees and tour guide.
Tour takes approximately 2 hours,
– 25 people (or less) per guide.
– Chaperones $3 per person
– Teachers & bus drivers receive complimentary admission.
Upon arrival at old Washington Visitor Center a tour guide in Period Costume will greet the guests.
– View 7-minute video about settlement of Mason County and frontiersman Simon Kenton.
– Visit original 1780s Cane Brake Log Cabin.
– Learn features of log cabin construction.
– Visit Simon Kenton Shrine, an example of pioneer general store.
– While strolling down flagstone sidewalks to Harriet Beecher Stowe Museum and Paxton Inn, learn architectural features of original early 1800s brick structures.
– Visit Mefford’s Fort, built c. 1790s. George Mefford, his wife and 13 children lived in this log cabin, whose floors are constructed from planks of flatboat that carried the family down the Ohio River to Mason County. Learn about candle dipping, the origins of childhood song Pop Goes the Weasel and pioneer family life.
– Log Cabin Workbook