- Maysville-Mason County Convention & Visitors Bureau
2 East Third Street
Maysville, Kentucky 41056
Explore the Underground Railroad in Maysville, KY
• 10:00 a.m. – Arrive at Old Washington, KY Visitors Center to meet with your personal guide. Here your guide will start the journey of stepping back in time to a historical period that has a permanent imprint in Washington.
Your guide will escort you to the following locations while sharing the history, facts and stories of the Underground Railroad:
o The Harriet Beecher Stowe Slavery to Freedom Museum – Hear how the experience of witnessing a slave auction helped Harriet write her novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
o Old Washington Courthouse Lawn – See where the slaves were kept before being sold.
o View the home of Marshall Key – Hear his story of becoming the Mason County Clerk, his connection to Harriet Beecher Stowe, and slavery.
• 11:30 a.m. – Leave Washington – Drive downtown to the National Underground Railroad Museum.
• 11:45 a.m. – Meet the host of the National Underground Railroad Museum. Here they will show you:
o The Historic building once owned by the Bierbower family
o Slave artifacts.
o Hidden areas in the house where slaves were once hidden.
o See photos and memorabilia that serve as a testament to the struggle of the men and women who crossed the Ohio River to freedom.
• 12:45 p.m. – Lunch
• 1:30 p.m. Travel to Ripley, Ohio
• 1:50 p.m. – Arrive at the Rankin House – Meet one of their personal guides who will share with you how Rankin House was a safe house and refuge to thousands of slaves as they made their way to freedom. Revel in the spectacular view of the Ohio River Valley from this National Historic Landmark; view the famous “stairway to freedom” leading from the river to Liberty Hill.
• 3:15 p.m. – Travel to John P. Parker House, home of the ex-slave, abolitionist and inventor. While your guide shows you this lovely house, hear the story of how during the day Parker worked in his own foundry, and by night helped slaves escape from Kentucky.
• 4:15 p.m. – Tour ends.