The Kentucky Gateway Museum Center has a schedule jam packed with free events to coincide with the 2018 Big Read.
And October is the perfect month for the selection — a short story collection by Kelly Link entitled Pretty Monsters.
Free copies of the book are available at the museum center (KYGMC) and at events.
Schedule of events:
- Oct. 2 – Haunting Histories exhibit reception at KYGMC, 6 p.m.
- Oct 3 – Big Read Kick Off at Russell Theatre, keynote speaker will be author WL Montell, 6 pm.
- Oct. 6 – Big Foot program at Mason County Public Library; Charlie Raymond will present his Gib Foot findings from around Kentucky, 3 p.m.
- Oct. 6 – Movie at Russell Theatre, Spiderwick Chronicles, 5 p.m.
- Oct 6. – Maysville Ghost Walk, host Robert Roe, 7:30 p.m.
- Oct.. 9 – Mourning Tea at KYGMC, speaker Gwynn Henderson, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 15 – Escape Room Challenge at Fleming County Public Library, (10/15-10/20)
- Oct. 17 – An evening with ghost hunter Patti Starr at Mason County Public Library, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 18 – Discussion of Pretty Monsters at Parc Cafe, sponsored by Maysville Young Professionals, 5:30 p.m.
- Oct. 18 – Campfire Storytelling at amphitheater behind Mason County Library, includes S’mores! 7 p.m.
- Oct 20 – A Night at the Museum, fairytale miniatures come life at Kentucky Gateway Museum Center, 5 p.m.
- Oct. 23 – October Seminar: Final Plans at KYGMC with speaker, Robert Palmer on planning your own funeral, 7 P.m.
- Oct. 24 – Moon Over Maysville Book Signing with authors Sean McHugh and Katie McHugh Parker, at KYGMC cemetery, 5-7 p.m.
- Oct. 25 – Book Party, celebrate Pretty Monsters at Fleming County Public Library at 5 p.m., Magic with Mark Comley at 6 p.m.
- Oct. 27 – Movie at the Russell, The Wizard of Oz, 5 p.m.
- Oct. 27 – Zombie Walk & Rave at the Grave, Zombie Walk begins at Market & 2nd streets and dances its way to the KYGMC cemetery with karaoke at Rave at the Grave, 8:15 p.m.