New Business Guidelines

In any endeavor there are a number of steps to success. The same can be said for opening a new business.

The following resources will help you on that journey without any missteps. In it you will find information on where to go and who to talk to about zoning requirements, building codes and inspections, trash collection, taxes and licensing.

Where to go

You will find many of your questions can be answered at the Maysville Municipal Building — 216 Bridge Street.

There are a number of departments and agencies all in one place. The Municipal Building houses the Maysville Administrative Offices, located on the upper level, which includes business and alcoholic beverage licensing, building codes, and planning and zoning. The Maysville Fire Department is also located at this address. On the lower level is the Maysville Utility Commission.

Adjacent to the Municipal Building on Third Street is Maysville-Mason County Chamber of Commerce.

See below for contact names, phone numbers, and email addresses.

Where to start


The city has instituted zoning regulations to ensure that business activities are conducted in appropriate commercial zones. Zoning regulation also addresses issues such as signage, landscaping, screening of trash dumpsters, and off-street parking.

The first step is making sure that a property is zoned for a specific type of business. Contact Zoning Administrator George Larger at 606-564-2719 or


Zoning regulations contain specific requirements for the size and location of all commercial signs. A sign permit is required before any new sign may be installed. Temporary, portable, or signs on public ways or utility poles are prohibited. Distribution or posting of flyers or handbills on vehicles, telephone poles, and other public property is prohibited. Download the sign application here.

Contact Zoning Administrator George Larger at 606-564-2719 or

Permits & Inspections

Building Permits

A building permit is required for all new construction or for additions to, remodeling of, and change of use of existing buildings.

Contact Jim Fawcett at 606-564-2525 or


Electrical inspections are required for all new wiring or any change to existing wiring. Electrical inspectors are not city employees, but the following have been approved by Maysville City Commission:

Phil Montgomery, 606-356-2840
Larry Rice, 859-338-6109

Changing of Tenants

A building inspection is required every time the occupant of commercial building or space changes.

Contact Jim Fawcett at 606-564-252 or

Fire Inspections

The Maysville Fire Department will inspect commercial buildings annually for fire hazards and to assure that any emergency equipment or appliances are being properly maintained. A fire inspection needs to be done before a business license will be issued for a new business.

The fire department may be reached at 606-564-9411.

Taxes & Licensing

Business License

A business license (occupational license) is required of any business operating in the city limits of Maysville. A license must be purchased prior to start of business. Download the license application here.

Contact Penny Stanfield at 606-564-2701 or  Melissa Wood at 606-564-2710 or

Payroll Taxes

Businesses are required to withhold 1.99% local payroll tax from all employees working in the city limits. Taxes are due on a quarterly basis.

Contact Penny Stanfield at 606-564-2701 or  Melissa Wood at 606-564-2710 or

Alcoholic Beverage Licenses

Any establishment that sells alcoholic beverages by-the-drink or packaged is required to obtain a city license to do so. The local Alcoholic Beverage Administrator must approve both the local and state application for all businesses selling alcoholic beverages within the City limits. She can help business owners navigate the process.

Contact City Clerk/ABC Administrator Lisa R. Dunbar at 606-564-2718 or

Other Information

Sidewalk Maintenance

The owner or occupant of any property is responsible for maintenance and repair of sidewalks adjacent to their property, including removal of weeds, litter, snow and ice.


Contact Maysville Police Department for registration of and guidelines on the installation of fire and security alarm systems — 606-564-9411.

Façade Funds & Tax Credits

Businesses in the downtown may be eligible for façade grants and/or tax credits for capital improvements to their property.

Contact Main Street Manager Caroline Reece at 606-563-2596 ext. 104 or

Additional Resources

Contact the Kentucky Alcoholic Beverage Control at or 502-564-4850.

Obtain a Federal Tax I.D. Number from the Internal Revenue Service.

For information on Registering a New Business & Kentucky State Taxes visit

For information on Mason County regulations, call the Judge-Executive’s office at: 606-564-6706.